We assist individuals and businesses to navigate the complexities of land tax laws across the various states and territories.
Land tax is an area that is constantly subject to legislative change so taxpayers should be mindful of the land tax liabilities as an ongoing cost prior to acquiring land assets and, to what extent, any exemptions may be available.
We assist clients to respond to Revenue Office investigations, attend to matters in dispute and defend historical positions.
Our Land Tax services include:
- Assisting taxpayers with land tax investigations conducted by the Revenue Offices
- Attending to the correction of errors in assessments
- Attending to applications of refunds for overpaid land tax
- Attending to land tax compliance and notifications to the Revenue Offices
- Drafting land tax objections and land tax valuation objections
- Preparing exemption applications for principal place of residence, primary production, aged care, caravan parks and charitable uses
- Advising clients on absentee owner surcharge and vacant residential land tax
- Providing land tax structuring advice and modelling land tax costs
- Preparing land tax de-grouping applications
- Undertaking historical reviews and due diligence of portfolios
- Drafting private rulings on complex land tax issues
- Obtaining second opinions from Senior Counsel on complex land tax issues
- Managing disputes with the Commissioner and relevant local authorities